Bereavement Support Group
A Bereavement Support Group meets at 6:30PM the first and third Tuesday of the month in Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory Meeting Room.
For October it will be October 3rd and 17th.
The Support Group is a small group voluntarily sharing their experiences in going through bereavement and discussing helpful spiritual guidance.
We go through a bereavement process whenever a drastic restructuring in our lives happens to us--- usually, through no fault of our own.
Whether it is from a loss of a dearly loved one or a loss of a job, or something not in our control that completely changes our lives. Those that we depend on for emotional support are no longer there and we have to reorganize our lives – look for new direction.
What the Support Group is Not:
- Lectures on how you get over it
- Therapy group
- Stand up and talk about how you feel
- Pep rally
What the Support Group Is:
- Individuals voluntarily sharing their concerns in a small group (4-6)
- Individuals voluntarily sharing their experiences in going through bereavement
- Helpful guidance and exercises, some that you may want to do on your own
- Spiritual guidance to give you strength
Who Should Attend:
- Individuals and family members recently affected by bereavement process
- Individuals who have had experience in reorienting their lives and want to help others
“COPING WITH YOUR EMOTIONS AND MANAGING STRESS”
- Crying. Tears have a language all their own
- Writing your thoughts on paper and expressing your feelings in a personal diary.
- Thanking God for the support you have received directly and through friends.
- Walking in nature. This can soothe the soul as you hear and see the cycle of life of the seasons.
- Throwing yourself into a hobby. Focus on an activity that helps to distract you temporarily.
- Caring for a pet. They give unconditional love.
- Wearing a smile, even when you don’t feel like it. Smiling releases endorphins that makes your body feel good.
The above are summary headings from a paper with the same title provided by the Norwich Diocese of Faith Events. It can be found in the Chapel and Foyer in the Bereavement Support Group Container.
This group is being supported by the Norwich Diocese Office of Faith Events